About the village
Hov is a village located on Suduroy’s east coast and is frequently mentioned in historical texts about the Faroe Islands.
Salmon sea farming has been practised in Hov since the 1980s. North of Hov along the old road to Øravík is impressive basalt columns that march along the hills.
The wooden church in Hov was originally built in Vágur on Kirkjukletti in 1862. It was moved to Hov in 1942 after the completion of a new church in 1939.
West of Hov is a waterfall with the name Foldarafossur. It lies in Hovsá which runs from Vatnsnes and is the line of demarcation between the villages of Porkeri and Hov. The waterfall is formed at the place where Hovsá runs over the edge at Foldarshamri. A bit further to the south there is a mountain pass which is called Foldarsskarð. These three place-names all have the same origin, and linguists think that the name comes from the soil (in Faroese also foldin) below these localities.
The old general store by the harbour of Hov accomodates a museum, art gallery and a café.