About the village
Porkeri is a village and municipality on Suðuroy. The village lies on the east side of the island, fairly far out to the north of Vágsfirði.
There are several evaluations on how old the village is, but it is probable that it is one of the oldest villages in the Faroe Islands, because the first time the name “Porkeri” appears is in Hundabrævið (letter on dog keeping) around 1350, where it mentions a sheepdog in Porkeri.
There are different tales about the origin of the name “Porkeri”. The most famous one must be that the first man to settle in Porkeri went on to cultivate the land and found sows (“purkur” in Faroese) in the topsoil. According to legend, the chieftain of Hovi, Hovgrímur, had a small pig farm in this spot, and it was sowed from these pigs that the settler discovered. This is why he named the place Purkurgerði (roughly translated to field of sows), which later became Porkeri.
One church is in Porkeri, which was built in 1847. It stands in the old part of the cemetery, where other churches have stood before this one. The church is built with wood and the roof is covered with sod. Other old buildings stand in Porkeri which are owned by Porkeris Bygdasavn. These include the old school, which is a museum with old things and í Eystrum, which is an old district with a shed for drying corn, a byre and a residential building.
Source: fo.wikipedia.org; porkeri.fo