About the village
Sandvík is a settlement, and it was people from Hvalba, who came there in 1815. At that time, the bay was called Hvalvík, but was later named Sandvík. Sandvík is the northernmost village in Suðuroy. The closest neigbouring village is Hvalba. These two villages were connected by a tunnel in 1969.
Several old buildings are in the village. One of them is Húsið uttan Ánna, which was originally built in 1866, and later has been turned into a museum. There is also an old forge and an old shop from 1877 in the village.