About the village
Trongisvágur is the village in the bottom of Trongisvágsfjørður (fjord) on the east coast of Suduroy. Trongisvágur and the neighbouring villages Tvøroyri and Ørðavík have grown into one entity (the northern part of Ørðavík, which is called Ørðavíkarlíð, is where the ferry port Krambatangi is). A river called Stórá that runs through the valley passes through a plantation that is worth visiting on a good day and then flows into the inlet at a nearby beach. There is a debate whether the name Trong is Norse or Gaelic in origin. Another version of the name is Trungisvágur. Trungisvágsbotnur is on the west coast, west of Trongisvágur. There are binoculars there in summertime, so people can have a closer look at birds and the vertical cliffs there. The place is called Á Røðini, but some people call it Kikarin, because of the binoculars. Shortly after the Park of Trongisvágur is the tunnel to Hvalba, Hvalbiartunnilin, which was the first road tunnel in the Faroe Islands. It was dug in 1963. The tunnel is 1450 metres long. The highest mountain in Suðuroy, Gluggarnir, is in the south of Trongisvágur; it is 610 meters high.
Photo: Leivur Nygaard